Friday, October 21, 2016

Relationships, Relationships, Relationships

"The three most important words in education are:  relationships, relationships, relationships.  Without them, we have nothing."-George Couros

Yes! Yes! Yes!  When I reflect on my teaching and what is important to me, the relationships I build with others are always at the top of my list.  I value the relationships I have with my colleagues, my team, my principal, and my students.  I see all of these people as an extension of my family. 

I think often about how lucky we are at Merton to work with such amazing people.  Jay supports us in everything we do and always encourages us to take risks.  He backs us up in new ideas we try and there isn't the need to feel like we have to ask permission.  This does create an environment for us where we feel like we can try something new and be supported.  We have great innovators in our district and I never feel like there is competition.  Everyone is so willing to share and help each other out and we are constantly learning from each other to improve the experiences for our students.  We value our relationships with each other and we have trust and a true sense of caring for each other, just like we do in our own families.

My team is the best.  I could not ask for a better group of people to work with.  We work together flawlessly, bounce ideas off of each other, laugh a lot, support teach other, and take risks together. We are always there for each other to have a conversation, cheer someone up on a bad day, help each other out, and make sure our new team members are doing well. We are not afraid to try new things and we are always looking at what we are doing and how we can make it better for our kids. We have had quite a few new members on our team in recent years, and the best part is, they never seemed "new."  Each one has added so much value to our team and I am thankful for each person on our team and the insight and experiences each one brings to the table.



I love my students and think of them as my own "kids."  I work hard to build relationships with them so they feel comfortable in my classroom and are willing to try something new and take a risk.  We laugh a lot together, spend time just talking sometimes, and learn from each other.  I am lucky to live so close to the community and often see my students on the sports fields, grocery shopping, and at high school events.  I think this really helps to make connections with them. Chaperoning dances is one of my most favorite things because you see the kids in such a different light. I often have students find me during the day because their locker door is stuck shut, their water bottle cap won't unscrew, they need to borrow something, or they need a place to work at lunch to catch up on something from another class.  This always brings a smile to my face. Relationship building definitely takes time and work, but it pays off in what the students will do for you in return.  I always tell people, I have three of my own great kids and 200 more great kids that I get to spend time with each day.




Words to live by for me from George Couros-"If we want meaningful change, we have to make a connection to the heart before we can make a connection to the mind."




8 comments:

  1. Becky,
    You are preaching to the choir when you talk about the importance of relationships. As you know, it takes time and effort to build these relationships. It's not a once time thing. It's an every time thing. The value of relationships cannot be understated. As you stated, strong relationships with students and colleagues have an impact on the work and effort that will be put forth.
    Keep on building and fostering your relationships with the students and staff, and continue to do the same with our families.
    Jay

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky,
    As I think about your post and reflect back on the teachers I had throughout my schooling experience, the ones that I had relationships and connections with made me work harder and I would push myself that much more just for them. Once I got to high school, the relationships that teacher's built with me as a student opened doors for me to start to pursue my track to teaching by allowing me an independent study course to come to Merton and teach in the 1st grade classes as a junior in high school. The high school teacher that went out of her way to build a relationship with me and create amazing opportunities for me as a student I still meet every month with to catch up and stay in touch. I know that there will be kids that are difficult to build relationships with but I will continue to try each and every day because it is SO WORTH THE EFFORT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Relationships are SUPER important for sure! One of my favorite parts of this profession are the relationships formed with students in the class and the staff as well. In addition, the families I get to meet as well as other community members make it a rewarding experience.

    The relationships with students is huge. While I continue to teach my students curriculum day in and day out and enjoy forming relationships this way, for me, my favorite time is when I am having random conversations with students about something that happened to them outside of the classroom, at recess, a funny thing in class, or before I even knew them. I had a student recently who got up after a math lesson and said "I'm glad you're fun" and that was the best thing I heard all day!

    Relationships are so much more than just school as well - personal/professional relationships mean a lot to me as well. Having my family and friends so close, all in the area is one way to deal with the stress of this career. I would be lost without them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I will never fault a person for the size of their brain. But the size of their heart is entirely their responsibility" (quote from Bill Johnson). I just found that tweet tonight and it spoke volumns to me! If the students know you care, then they will care!

    We ALL know how much you care Becky! You are such a great role model for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, Isn't it fascinating that relationships are one of the most important parts of teaching, but training or strategies on how to develop strong relationships are not typically part of teacher prep? Building relationships is hard work. It means giving up lunch hours, watching students on the playing field, communicating with parents on our own time, and being available when we don't necessarily feel like it. Relationships mean sacrifice, but once students know they are worth it in our eyes, they'll jump for that high bar we set. Relationships are hands down the part I miss most about the classroom. There is something magical about Open House and conference nights. The insight we gain into our students' lives helps us go deeper and lets them know there is more to school than academics. You are truly a pro at this, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, I loved reading your post! I was not surprised that you focused on relationships because I think you are so connected to your students year after year. If I want to know how a former student is I know I could just ask you because you always seem to know how they are all doing. In my mind that is one of the reasons you are a once in a lifetime teacher, and I can't wait for my son to have you for his teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, you have a heart of gold! You treat every individual student as if he or her were your own child. You give your heart and soul into not only teaching, but also building relationships with all students.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Becky and I love the pictures! I love how you said, "I have three of my own great kids and 200 more great kids that I get to spend time with each day." I feel the same way. You're spot on about relationships as well. I'm so glad that Cameron got to experience your class. He told me just yesterday how easy Spanish Class is at Arrowhead because he had YOUR class! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete